Saturday, January 23, 2010

Speaker sound on LG P1 Express

Three years ago I bought an LG P1 Express laptop, which seemed a decent choice back then. I should confess that still is but I got really disappointed with the ATI cards and the support they have in linux. Anyway, I have been always having trouble with the sound from my system. I was never able to hear sound from the speakers of my laptop, and it was kind of irritating. I have been trying for along period of time (and I mean a lot!) to find a workaround or some solution to it. At first I thought it had to do with the kernel. There were other users out there that were using the same laptop but there was a difference. The audio chipset was different: the ones that were working were using the ALC882 chipset from Realtek and mine was ALC883. In earlier kernels and distros, my soundcard was not even recognized. At later kernel versions, and specifically after the 2.6.29 tree family, my card was recognized but the speakers did not work. I had to connect headphones to hear sound and being a linux user (and developer) I was getting irritated. It was not an ALSA issue neither and I have tried every single solution proposed in the internet. One day, I installed Ubuntu 9.10, and I performed a system test. As expected, the sound from the speakers did not work and I filed a report to the launchpad.net analysing the problem. After a couple of months, I found another user (!!!) that had the same problem with me. We both had the ALC883 chipset, and therefore no sound from speakers. We provided a lot of information to the launchpad and to the Ubuntu developers hoping to find a solution. But! BUT one day the other user came up with a solution! Yes a solution! The solution is simple, but we have never came up with:  just open /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and append the line:

options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-eapd

Reboot and Voila! Sound comes out from speakers and I can also you Skype for my phone calls! It's been sooo long! But (I hate it when there's always a 'but') the problem now is that even with headphones plugged-in, sounds comes out from speakers! Well, what can we say? One step at a time!

11 comments:

  1. YYYYYaaaaaaay. Thanks for this. You might be interested to learn that the same things works on the LG C1 Dual Express. Users with that computer will be interested to know that there is also a fix for the tablet here: http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1370842

    Thanks for this, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that this workaround is also used in other setups and of course, glad it helped you. Thanks for the follow-up, also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After searching the forum for few weeks, trying every possible suggestions, finally , your method is the simplest and I manage to hear the sweet sound from my LG C1 (with Ububtu 10.10) speaker loud and clear. There is only one problem, the internal mic is not working. Did you manage to get the mic to work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Timothy, I am glad it worked! It's nice to know that it works for other models too. Probably C1 has the same chipset and that's why it is working.

    Unfortunately, I have not managed to work around it yet, it seems a driver issue and to be honest I don't think it will be ever resolved.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    i got also the big problem. theres no sound, coming out auf my speakers from my lg p1 express dual. i also got the ALC883 chip onboard.
    im a linux/ubuntu beginner. so it was a hard challenge to write the code into the alsa-base.conf file. but it doesnt work for my. theres no sound at all. i also tried the code: model = lg, but this also doesnt work.

    is there anything else i can do? i searched alot, but i dont find any other clue :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, as I said above use:

    options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-eapd

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats right, and i tried laptop-eapd, but it doesnt work.
    a soundcard is listed in my system , i also can change the volume slider. but i cant get any sound....

    ReplyDelete
  8. i forgot to mention, i use ubuntu 10.10

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm I have not check 10.10 so if you find something you are welcome to share it with us!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, thx, if i find a solution i will post it here :)
    btw, when i plug my earplugs there is sound, but very low volume....

    ReplyDelete
  11. i found the solution for me!

    1. /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    add: options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

    2. /etc/modules
    add: snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

    3. reboot

    4. goto soundoptions, set default to:
    analog output

    5. open gnome-alsamixer:
    set side-fader to a higher volume

    6. listen over your notebook-speaker :)

    this worked for me:
    LG P1 Express Dual
    Realtek ACL 883 Soundchip
    Ubuntu 10.10

    ------------------------
    Note:
    (Every other configuration doesnt work like: model=lg or model=laptop-eapd)

    ReplyDelete